Equipping ourselves with theological vocabulary to build political power
Religious beliefs impact voting habits. As progressive Christians, it’s imperative we are unequivocal in our belief in the Separation of Church and State and simultaneously embrace the opportunity for our faith values to enter the voting booth.
The question is how?
- Are we aware of the ways culture has been shaped in the name of “Christianity?”
- Do we realize the toxic marriage of Christian Nationalism + white supremacy + Politics and how that’s brought us to this specific moment in time?
- Are we intentional about moving beyond single-issue voting because our faith calls us to an intersectional analysis?
- Do we realize the impact our local votes have on decades of Supreme Court decisions that will either make us cringe or applaud because of our faith?
- Do we have the tools and information we need to engage family members and friends in healthy conversation when our politics differ and yet we claim the same Religion?
Our democracy is teetering towards destruction. We must be informed, organized, and unwavering in our public Progressive Christian witness.
- Discuss a pressing social issue and learn Christianity’s role in shaping voter outcomes
- Receive a framework for a theological approach that’s liberative and progressive
- Examine how we can approach the voting booth with an intersectional theology
- Gain tools for having conversations with people “on the other side of the fence” and
- Acquire actionable advocacy steps
- Abortion / Reproductive Justice
- The Glorification of Guns
- Ecological Justice
- Voter Suppression
- This includes a pre-meeting on how best to tailor the workshop for your community.
- Workshops can include up to 75 individuals
- Recording the workshop is not allowed
- For in person events, all travel and accommodations must be paid.
- *If the price is unattainable, negotiations may be available.
To book a Faith Votes Workshop, fill out the form below.
These conversations are not sponsored or endorsed by any Church, Denomination, or Religious Body. They are the sole property of Rev. Amanda Hambrick Ashcraft and represent no other views but her own.
Rev Amanda Hambrick Ashcraft (she/her) is a nationally known public theologian at the intersection of Religion and Politics. She is the founder of Raising Imagination, a consulting community minister at Middle Church, serves on the Clergy Advisory Council for Planned Parenthood, an author, organizer, and mother of four. She’s been seen on national news outlets including the New York Times, Fox News, Crooked Media, The Root, Religious News Service, The Women’s March, Vote Common Good, Bust Magazine, Refinery29, Progressive Christianity, Baptist News Global, Change.Org, “In Conversation” with Frank Schaeffer, and the Wall Street Journal, and is a frequent Podcast Guest including Existential, Love. Period out of the Center for Action and Contemplation, and Parenting and Politics.
Her past & present board involvement includes the Resistance Prays, The Advisory Committee for This Land is Ours Community Land Trust, The Clergy Advisory Board of Planned Parenthood Empire State Acts, The Lower East Side Girls Club, the Poor People’s Campaign Prophetic Council, and the Baptist News Global.
She is a graduate of Samford University, the Baptist Theological Seminary, and was ordained by Metro Baptist Church in 2016. She’s presented across the country, including at the Interfaith Meeting of the DNC, New York Council of Churches, Myers Park NC, Faith Baptist KY, First Church Cambridge, MA, Snyder Memorial NC, River Road VA, First Baptist OK, Trinity Lower East Side NYC, Riverside NYC, Middle Church NYC, Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church NYC, and Trinity Wall Street, NYC.